September 2021: Recipient 013, Andy Grace Hayes
We’re entering the SECOND year of The White Pube Writers Grant if you can believe it. We are very pleased to announce that the 13th recipient is fellow art critic Andy Grace Hayes. Writing from Glasgow, his substack Another Gay Handout brings together exhibition reviews, book reviews, and essays on aesthetics and the climate. We haven’t been able to run around Scotland’s many different art scenes in a long, long time but reading Andy’s reviews felt like the light, piercing criticism and gossip that comes of visiting exhibitions with clever friends. We very much support that, and we’re subscribed to the mailing list so looking forward to reading more. We hope you enjoy it too!
Andy Grace Hayes is a Scottish writer living in Glasgow. He writes exhibition reviews and records video essays that engage with local work, queer art, terrible art, and mass media. Hayes writes to be confrontational and to flirt. He aims to create an archive of gossip, institutional criticism, and off-the-cuff diatribes.
Links below if you want to read his work, or follow Andy online:
- Read: A Dumpster Fire and ‘Dampbusters’
- Read: Carpeted Bathroom, an Exhibition Review of ‘Sex Club’
- Watch: Pleasure Park and the Legacy of Tom of Finland
- Watch: The Aesthetics of Calm: Whitecubing in the White Cube
- Another Gay Handout on Substack
- You can also find Andy on Twitter & Instagram